ref praise

ref praise

Postby boardingdoc on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:47 pm

just like to let you all know we had a great ref away at tansley couple of weeks ago. Sean hoole. came and introduced himself to both sets of boys before game and told them what he expected. during game gave encouragement to the boys and talked through his decisions. thanks again. :) buxton jfc u12 sharks
boardingdoc

Re: ref praise

Postby ianw on Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Yes to second that at the Wingerworth Rowdies v Welbeck fixture last weekend the young referee was excellent. He was prepared to give free kicks and a penalty (unfortunately not converted), when fouls were committed and was confident enough to gesture to shut up when the inevitable protests came from the line. It is so important in junior football that free-kicks are awarded when infringements are made so that the boys who are confident enough to hold onto the ball under pressure prosper, rather than being shoved off it illegally with no penalty, which helps the bigger stronger boys who are not always the best footballers, this happened a lot the previous weekend at Matlock, who are incidentally a very good footballing team, which led to a bit of bad blood between the lads. Hopefully adequate training is given to the young refs, who seem to officiate in most matches these days and the importance of strong decision making, not taking the easy option is so important in the development of these young players.

PS congratulations to Welbeck for coming back from 2-0 down at half-time to win they attacked and defended very well in the second-half and with that level of performance they have a great chance of silverware at the end of the season. Also it was very refreshing to see their management team having the courage to take off their star centre-forward with the game in the balance for lip to the ref or themselves, a lot I can name would not have considered this action. All in all a very good tightly contested match, played in the right spirit with plenty of hard but fair tackling going in from both sides.
ianw

Postby loudcurtis on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 pm

Thankyou , Wingerworth for your kind comments , and carry on with performances like that i am sure you will be ok, We wish you all the best for the rest of the season,Kev@welbeck
loudcurtis

Postby Philly8mt on Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:41 pm

Arkwright v Wingerworth u12's 20th Feb

The game was reffed by Sam Smith today, first time we've had the pleasure!
Excellent communication with the players and very sensible attitude to the game. He didnt put a foot wrong all through the match and despite the "heavy" conditions allowed the game to flow.

Superb .. Welcome back anytime :D

Phil
A.C.J.F.C U12's
Philly8mt

Postby ianw on Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:13 pm

Unfortunately I have to report on the other side of the coin at the Buxton Sharks v Wingerworth Rowdies match today, anybody there would have been dismayed at the performance of the referee today. It can't be stressed enough the quality of the officiating is so important to the quality of the match.

Our team played last years champions and to me still the best team this year and gave it everything in terms of strength and quality of play and outplayed them for 20 minutes and deserved so much better for their efforts. To lose to a debatable penalty when you have had a far clearer one not given is hard to take for an 11 year old. No wonder some of them lost their composure.

I can't blame him for us losing Buxton were the better team second half and if we had played as well second half as we had first we would have won. However with a half competent official I am sure today we would have had a really top game today because their were two competitive teams out there today with not a hint of any malice in the early play. An example when two lads clash heads so blatantly do not let play go on.
ianw

Postby Selston FC on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Selston FC v Whaley Thorns

Young ref again with a really good display of sensible descisions and vocal comments to players who engaged on 50/50 challenges. Play was waved as play on when required and on the flip side stopped when injuries occured.

good all round performance

Simon (Selston FC)
Selston FC

Return to Under 12 Team's Forum